Tuesday, May 20, 2014

one thing at a time intro

I am new to this minimalist thing.  I want to be good at it. I want to have one of an item.. instead of 3 that work okay. I want ONE really awesome one I love.
I want my energy to be able to exert itself towards goodness. Not piles of junk.

I am going to keep track of my journey here.  Posting quotes for inspiration and tasks completed.





I am going to purge at least one thing per day OR trade out an old item for a new one.  This is my plan for the whole summer.  I am due with baby August 29th. At which point my house better be pretty put together and no more useless shit laying around.

Before I started this blog I...


  • Gave my sister the majority of my makeup, washes, curling irons, brushes, and any bathroom products I don't use on a weekly basis.
  • Donated half of my wardrobe. (Currently have one box of clothes still in my car that needs to be sold.)
  • Cleaned out both "junk" drawers in the kitchen, checked all the pens, threw out SO much. They are not "junk" drawers anymore :)
  • Tossed out a dozen wine bottles I had been saving for God knows what.
  • Converted 4 pillows into dog pillows. (This counts as purging because they are being used for better, right?) We now have 4 pillows instead of 8 on the bed.
  • Quit my job. We don't need the income and I can focus on things that matter more than money.
  • Tossed all mine and Grant's college textbooks.  Ain't nobody gonna read those.
  • Sorted through all our tax/health/car/pet file cabinet. THIS WAS AWESOME
  • Tossed out the dog beds that have holes in them and were spilling filling everywhere, everyday, that I swept up every day, for months. Whew. The dogs now have pillows and blankets and guess what? They don't shred them.
  • Tossed a chair that belonged to Grant's grandpa. I know, sentimental, but mostly a dog chew toy that nobody sat on.
  • Purged Grant's closet (part 1). How many dress shirts does one man need? This task needs a part 2.
  • Purged all purses but one. Held on to a few totes and suitcases.
  • Purged EVERY single CD I own. Yes. EVERY SINGLE ONE. When was the last time I threw a CD into a CD player? 2008? Gone.

FUTURE GOALS
  • Car trunk.. what have I been hauling around for years? (DONE! 5/21/14)
  • Towels.. we have dozens. Why?
  • Grant's Closet (part 2)
  • Shoes
  • Garage (DONE! 6/4/14)
  • Tools
  • Basement Shelves.. what is down there?
  • Scrap Books/Picture albums
  • Dog Toys
  • Maternity Clothes
  • Cleaning Products COMBINE AND CONQUER! Switch to homemade.
  • Paper Products
  • Coin jars.. turn that in to cash money.
  • Booze Cabinet
  • Wine Glasses, so many glasses, so little to drink
  • Mittens/Hats/Scarves (DONE 5/22/14)
  • Dress Scarves
  • Command center. Why do we have a calendar and photos hanging messily that nobody looks at?
  • Small Appliances. How many blenders does one need?
  • Our swivel office chair. One of George's favorite chew toys as a pup. The chair is comfy, and we get a lot of use out of it. But it looks like junk. This is a replace item.
  • Our mattress. Another replace item.
  • Our dressers. Both need to be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment